Ohhhh….Ohhhhh….I’ll answer that….YES IT CAN! For the past couple of months I have been eating fresh and staying away from processed food not to save money, but to stay healthy, and to my surprise I have cut about $70 bucks off my monthly grocery bill. People only think that the only way to save money at the grocery store is to sit for hours and clip coupons, and burn a heap of gas to criss-cross around town to score deals. Lies….All Lies. Below are 5 easy steps I incorporated to spend less for my groceries.
1. Purchasing more vegetables and fruit. Incorporating more vegetables and fruit in my diet really has cut cost. Processed and microwave food is quicker to prepare but of course there is an added expense for the convenience. The key is to find a spot to purchase these goods for cheaper like a farmers market.
2. Buy only what you need. I use to over buy and throw my money in the trash because me and my daughter would never finish the leftovers, or the items would just spoil or expire. I plan my meals two weeks out, and create a menu that I can freeze to avoid waste.
3. Always utilize a shopping list. When I use to go to the grocery store without a shopping list, I always bought extra items that just look good or was curious to try. Now I never leave home without my list, and stay on budget for each trip.
4. Use coupons for what you really need or use. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with me here, but I only use coupons for items that I actually need or intend to use immediately. It makes no sense for me to purchase 10 bags of Cheetos because they are on sale when I can use that money towards something we need now, and I can use that dollar saved toward a bill. A dollar is a dollar, and if you pay down with enough of them…. your debt will disappear.
5. Utilize your dollar store. Trust me when I tell you that the Dollar Store is your friend. They have a lot of the same items that you will see in the grocery store, but only for a dollar. In Japan the dollar store is called the 100 Yen Shop and they sell awesome natural food products and teas that you can snatch up for only a buck…..delightful.
So the myth that the only way to save at the grocery store is to utilizing coupons in my mind…..is just a myth.
What do you think?