When you become a new blogger INSECURITY will show up and try its best to throw you off-balance. It will politely tell you your content is garbage and make you feel your posts are not worthy, and better off saved in your Post Page as a measly draft. Newbie bloggers must learn how to distance themselves from INSECURITY’s negative comments and subconscious verbal abuse, to have a successful blog. Below I have listed 5 ideals that can help you break up with INSECURITY and build your confidence while maintaining your blog.
1. Never compare yourself to other bloggers. Insecurity will creep in when you compare yourself to other seasoned bloggers. It’s ok to look up to other bloggers, but never get so caught up in their success that you feel you can never be as good as they are. Take pleasure in creating your own path to success, and try to enjoy every moment on the way.
2. Accept that you’re gonna make mistakes. My most memorable mistake was misspelling a very well-known blog (financiallyblonde.com) only to have the blog owner (Shannon) email me to let me know I misspelled her blog title in my post. I really wish that I could say that was my last mistake, but that would be a lie. The sooner I accepted that I will make mistakes, the easier it was for me to bounce back when it happened. Trust me acceptance is the key. (Shannon…it’s not funny.)
3. Educate yourself. This is actually one of the most important ingredient that will get rid of your insecurities. I have read so many books on blogging, and currently enrolled in the Elite Blogger Academy to take my blogging platform to another level. Don’t be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone to learn more about blogging. A known fact, if you learn about the craft of blogging, then it will build your confidence.
4. Be yourself. You are perfect just the way you are and with practice and originality people will read your blog. Yes, there are technical basic website prerequisites that must be in place, so do yourself a favor and hire a website designer if you have too, then focus on your writing. Most important element is to find your voice and write….then write…..and then write some more.
5. Practice your writing. For those of you that are insecure about your writing it is very important to find time to practice. The more you write the better you will get at it, and feel more comfortable when it’s time to click PUBLISH.
Practice these five ideals and I promise you that INSECURITY will leave your side and find someone else to bother. In the meantime stay true to yourself and most importantly….keep blogging.
So tell me….What did you do to get over your blogging insecurities?